Plants that root in water

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,923
    @Hazyb. I’m not sure that is root, it looks like a leaf node. Give it a bit longer. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• HazybHazyb Posts: 246
    I have no intention of moving it out of the water yet :)

It has always had leaf nodes as I read somewhere that you should cut below where you see small nodes but now they have  grown a little bit on each side and have pointy bits.  The first noticeable change.  
  • Helen P3Helen P3 Posts: 253
    Helen P3 said:
    A friend has got her clematis cuttings (several varieties) to root in water.  She tells me now is a good time.  I'll take her advice and do it today.  The worst that could happen is no roots, I suppose!
    I thought I could do it too.  WRONG!  Every clematis cutting rotted away and the rest of them are just sitting there! 

I asked my friend what, exactly, she'd done.  She told me, "I don't know.  Just snipped their tips with my garden scissors and put them in a jar of water."

The gardening gods, on that day, were on her side, I suppose!  BUT, I'm not giving up!
  • Helen P3 said:

The gardening gods, on that day, were on her side, I suppose!  BUT, I'm not giving up!
    Mine too are rotting or simply sitting there!  We must be doing something wrong. It can't be just the fault of them... gods!
  • HexagonHexagon Posts: 560
    I’ve stuck a bit of an osteo in now. It’s a stunning orangey pink colour so I really hope it takes. Will try argryanthemum too.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,795
    edited 22 July
    Osteos will often root directly into the soil. Have a look along the stem and see if there's anything rooty-looking (technical term)😉
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 343
    edited 26 July
    I'm trying my hand at Plectranthus australis (Swedish Ivy).  Also trying Aster Novi Henry III purple.  I had 4 of the latter in huge pots on my back patio, came through hard winter just fine, well established this season and then lost 2 suddenly a week apart to blotchy white spots on all the leaves.  The other 2 are 10' away from the two diseased ones and healthy as can be.   Have about 6 jars of herbs rooting, too.  
    My low-carb recipe site:  www.buttoni.wordpress.com  10-yrs & counting!
    Keep us posted @Peggy in Texas. We're all learners/experimenters and we could do with some success😉
  • PeggyTXPeggyTX Posts: 343
    I shall!
    My low-carb recipe site:  www.buttoni.wordpress.com  10-yrs & counting!
    👍