Still no frog!!

Am I a bit sad that I keep dreaming I have frogs in my pond? My family think I'm barmy that I keep dreaming about them. I've had a pond for about 4/5 years now and still no sign of them. ????????. What time of year would they be likely to appear?

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,875

Hi lovegardening. Did you have any frogspawn in your pond this Spring?

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 313

No?. Everywhere I read or programme I watch says "put in a pond and you'll get frogs!! " . Well I haven't!

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 23,875

Well if you know of anyone who has a pond where frogs do spawn, beg a bucket full next Spring and then you might be lucky in getting little froglets and then frogs. To be honest if you've waited 4/5 years, there may not be too many frogs around where you are as they do move in very quickly. Mine moved in within a year

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • SloppySloppy Posts: 9

I have not got a pond nor has anyone near us but I have several frogs. I am constantly screaming at them in garden because they make me jump. We lifted the shed base at the weekend and found a frog and a very large toad under there. Built a froggery to replace their home as felt guilty for removing their home. Still got loads of slugs though 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,444

We had frogs in the garden before we built the pond ... they like areas of longish damp grass in shady places ... we have some areas that we only mow very rarely in rotation so there's always a couple of areas for them, and before we do mow those areas we go through the grass with a bamboo cane , making sure there are no frogs there or moving them on, after a tragedy best not spoken of image

So as well as the pond, make sure there are other areas for them too ... frogs actually spend a lot of time out of the water.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,765

Yes - other areas are necessary as Dove says, but if you don't have any spawn you may need to introduce some in spring as L'bird suggests. We don't have many ponds/frogs nearby (although I had a pond round the corner from here, and there's a big one in the nearby NT garden) but each spring I bring a little bit of spawn into the pond I built a few years ago,  and many of them have became froglets. A bigger frog appeared last year which was presumably one of the previous year's little ones, as he/she was the right sort of size, so hopefully I may get a few more coming in and reproducing. 

It is a bit of a waiting game, but don't lose heart. Add some extra bits and pieces of habitat, and things might change  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• I installed a container pond two year ago which is purely for nature ie frogs. I did add some pond snails which have done well sadly no frogs. 

If the pond snails are thriving frogs should like it too? I havent tried to introduce any as theyre supposed to just turn up and move in so thought it may be cruel to introduce tadpoles or spawn if it wasnt a great environment.

Just wondering if anyone has made a successful container pond

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Froglife say moving spawn is a no-no.  Although I'm tempted. I get frogs but no spawn.   I garden in other people's gardens as well and mostly I see frogs in long grass or under trees etc.   Agree with Dove more likely to be the other places that attract them, as well as non-chemical gardening and access to the garden.   Pile up some branches in the shade, let grass grow a bit.  Also your location might be a factor.  What's around you?  

Also you may have some frogs but not see them.   They may not be in the pond.  Have you tried going outside into damp areas with a torch at night?   I never see my frogs anymore for the duckweed but hear them plop into the water when I get too close.

I have a pond in a bathtub sunk into the ground. [I'll spare the forum MORE pictures.]  So its sort of a container pond. 

My MIL, who always outdoes me in wildlife things, has had frogs spawn in an upturned dustbin lid before she had her pond put in. 

• My mum had the house i live in now and installed a small pond about 25 year ago. Within a week one toad and three frogs appeared??

The pond had to be dismantled over the years due to a leak and small children being an issue. My kids are older now so thought a small wildlife pond (container) would be a nice addition, hoping for some amphibians - sadly not

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,068

Don't be sad, Daisy, the invertebrates that will almost certainly take up residence in your pond, if they haven't already, are just as important to nature's grand scheme as the frogs, if not so glamorous.  Definitely shouldn't take frogspawn from the wild.  We support wildlife by helping it to stay wild, not by forcing it to share our environment.