Lemon verbena

lovegardening77lovegardening77 Berkshire Posts: 327

Ive just watched a short video where Monty talks about lemon verbena. He says that it's not hardy and to put it in greenhouse over winter. However, mine is grown against east facing fencing in sheltered spot and has been there for about a year. It's doing fine. Is it because it's sheltered that it has survived? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,190

Many plants which are less hardy will cope with dry cold far better than wet cold, so keeping them in a well drained spot, with shelter from the worst of the elements will go a long way to getting them through the winter. In pots, if they've been wet, you have to be aware of frost in the forecast, but you can always use fleece or something similar to prevent roots freezing, or bring under cover if you have a greenhouse or a cold frame.

However, some plants simply aren't hardy in certain areas, and have to come inside. You may just have to play it by ear and experiment a little according to your own conditions. Not every winter will be the same either  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,248

Mine is in a pot by the west wall of the house. It survived last winter when it was -11° (SW France). It is about 4 years old now, always left out in winter.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 1,753

Monty is addressing the whole country. What works in one area may not in another. FG is absolutely right that you have to experiment and find out about what works for you. As well as low temperatures you need to take account of waterlogging and wind. I live a few miles from the famous Undercliff on the Isle of Wight but I cannot overwinter many of the plants now called hardy because the heavy clay and high water table or the salty winds in early Spring knock them back so badly.