Forum home Plants

lifting plants

Hi, new to the site but hope you can help me.   We have sold our house which is now due for demolition and rebuild.   We are moving to a large plot of land for a self build (2 acres).   I have no problems with planning the veg patch and orchard but need to lift most of my plants in my old garden as the developer has said he will not save any plants to get more space for the build.  I have already started digging up and propagating but what is the situation with lifting firstly my eremurus and secondly if we have to move quickly I still have loads of shrubs in flower such as potentialla, dahlias, roses etc.    How can I preserve these whilst still in bloom as I don't want to lose these plants.   Can anyone advise me the best way forward.   I will probably also come back to GW for advice on planting a herbaceous border on such a large plot

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,684

It's not advisable to dig them up with blooms. It's best to cut them down. This includes the roses and the Foxtail Lilies. Any digging and replanting is stress to plants. Minimise stress with less blooms and foliage in some plants.

• would there be any mileage in digging up with as much soil as possible and putting into black plastic poly pots for the time being?

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,684

You can do that, but you must be mindful with watering much much more in pots and in flower. If you did, it's best to not have them out in the sun for too long, even if they are 'sun loving' plants.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,814

The Eremurus should have finished weeks ago ; they can be cut down and (avoid breaking the roots) carefully lifted .

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 345

By my reckoning you are going to lose your plants anyway so what other option have you got but to lift them and give them a go.  As has been said, just keep on top of watering. 

• thanks to everyone and as you said Angie I am going to lose them anyway so have ordered up some very large poly pots and as the new land is right next to a stream then watering will not be an issue.

thanks, great site, wish I had found it sooner