Forum home Fruit & veg

What type of squash is this (and recipe ideas please)?

Hi all

I have a couple of squashes which I bought at the roadside.  I think they might be either pattypan or star squashes, although perhaps they are a bit on the large size to be either of those?  Here's some pics to help identify...

My partner is working today and I'm having a day off gardening on account of the rain.  So I'm going to venture to that place I don't often go...  THE KITCHEN...  and try to cook something nice with them.  So I wondered if anyone has any tried and tested tasty recipes to share.  We are both vegan, so they'd need to be vegan recipes or at least easily adapted to a vegan recipe.

Many thanks

Max

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,555

They look like Pattie Pan to me too except that I've never seen green ones.  They've always been very pale.  I can do vegetarian or pescatorian or full on meat recipes but not vegan.

I suggest you google "squash+recipes+vegan" and see what's out there.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,290

The look like pattypans to me ... we grew some last year and used them for any courgette/summer squash type recipe 

Have a look on here 

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_search.php?submit=Go! 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Many thanks - much appreciated.

I've found a curry recipe from that first link which I'll be doing.  The recipe calls for the squash to be peeled. Where possible, I prefer not to peel things as there are usually many of a fruit's/vegetable's nutrients in the skin and just below the surface. But it needs to be edible at the same time!!! With the squashes being passed the small and tender stage, will the skins be too tough and should I remove them? Any thoughts from anyone here to a kitchen novice? :)

Cheers

Tap it.  If it sounds hollow then the skin is likely to be a tad tough.

More recipes here but not for that squash - http://www.care2.com/greenliving/15-vegan-squash-recipes-for-the-fall.html   Probably adaptable tho.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The curry came out great!  So thanks again for them links.  My partner (the main cook of the house) was also impressed with the website :)  

And thanks also for the "tap it" advice.  It did indeed sound hollow so I went ahead and peeled it.  I was frying it for the curry...  Perhaps if I were roasting I would have tried leaving the skins on.  We did a few winter squashes like that last year and the skins were lovely.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for letting us know  - I'll tell Mamta - she'll be very chuffed..

Good.   Lots of squashes and pumpkins ripening here so new recipes that work are welcome.