Pruning wisteria

JanvoJanvo Posts: 20

Hello 

This is a wisteria that my mum bought me, I need advice on pruning it, it's got very bushy (good) but will it need pruning yet to make it grow up? 

Thank you in advance 

• JanvoJanvo Posts: 20

Sorry I don't think the photo has uploaded 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

Try resizing the photo as there is a size limit.

Pruning is done twice a year, usually July/August and Jan/Feb.  In summer you shorten any long whippy stems and tie in new growth to a support structure.  In winter, when there is no frost forecast for a couple of days, you shorten again to promote formation of flower buds.

THe RHS website has a handy video and explanation:-

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thank you 

I've managed to upload it

Last edited: 30 August 2017 14:38:15

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,333

Leave it for now but keep it watered, tho not drowning, till it goes dormant and drops its leaves.  If you can, plant it out in a permanent position so it can get its roots down deep and with a good framework of wires or trellis to grow on.  If that's against a wall, plant it at least 12 to 18 inches out - walls soak up moisture and any roof will cast a rain shadow so you need to compensate with plenty of organic matter to retain moisture.

Keep it sheltered from heavy frosts and strong winds and feed every spring with blood, fish and bone, pelleted chicken manure or a slow release rose or tomato fertiliser.   Tab the link to the RHS pruning advice so you know what to look for to prune in future years.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Thank you, you've been very helpful and I will watch the link you have sent :-)