Bats in my parasol!

A few days ago we decided to have lunch in an area we hadn't used for a while and opened the parasol there only to discover that 3 bats were roosting inside it. One flew onto a nearby artichoke plant before all three flew off. Not sure whether they have/will return there but I think I'll avoid using that parasol again this season just in case!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,637

How sweet! I live in France so my house has wooden shutters. I can't shut them in summer because the bats shelter behind them. In winter they prefer an old stone storage room on the end of the house and the garage.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,458

How fascinating ... they've picked your parasol for a summer roost ... I wonder where they go in the winter?  

Great photo ... perhaps there's enough info there for someone to make an ID ... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,498

You could call the bat helpline - they'll probably ID the bat for you and also tell you what you need to do to avoid accidentally disturbing them again image

It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • JacquimJacquim Posts: 49

He's cute. We once found one clinging to the laundry basket. No idea how he got into the bedroom. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,637

It looks like a common pipistrelle to me.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 816

Yes, we decided that he was probably a common pipistrelle though we're definitely not experts. We quite often see bats flying around the garden in the evening but actually had hardly seen any this year so were quite surprised. We're planning to leave them undisturbed there from now on as we usually sit the other side of the house.

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,701

How cool, SG, I'd be over the moonimage?