Forum home Plants

Moved to new house - Cutting Back old plants

imageimageimageimageimage

Hi,

I've just moved into a new house and am wanting to start sorting out the garden. The previous tenants didn't do much to keep on top of the garden so it's been left to go a little wild. I really like the rose bush at the bottom of the garden, but the white flowered plant looks like it's slowly strangling it. I'm unsure how to approach it?

Also, we have the tree that is ever so conveniently planted directly in front of the shed door, so it's difficult to get in and out. How would I be best to trim the tree? When should I do it? 

Thanks very much for any advice.

Solomon

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,259

The white flowered plant is bindweed. It has white roots that crawl around under the earth and other plants roots and is almost impossible to dig out. Every bit broken off and left in the ground turns into another plant. It's a very common weed.

It does respond to glyphosate weedkiller, but so do roses - so you mustn't get it on the rose. Unwind as much of the bindweed as you can and stuff it into a clear plastic bag, then spray into the bag with glyphosate. If you are anti- weedkillers then just pull off all the bindweed whenever you see it, all through the season, which should weaken it.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,270

Good advice above re: bindweed or use the gel. As for the conifer you could prune it back at any time but don't go too mad as unfortunately most conifers will not re-grow from a brown stem. So only cut the green tips off as far as you can without going into the brown. If it's still too big / in the way you may have to give  up on it & take it  out completely!

AB Still learning

• Thanks guys, I'll start work on the bindweed first and then look at tackling the pruning!