Forum home Fruit & veg

Notacluewhattodo

MJ56MJ56 BoltonPosts: 30

i have just bought a Loco chilli plant as it looks very attractive, I believe it has been cultivated for the British climate and I got the the impression it will fine in a sunny spot now, but I'm worried when I should place it elsewhere. I am a novice in the gardening department and would appreciate some guidance

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,340

It's getting a bit too cool at night to leave a potted chilli ouside 24/7 so I'd put it out in the sunny spot on nice days but bring in every night and on cold days.  They don't really like temperatures below 14C.  It will keep going over the winter if you keep it inside on a sunny windowsill.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MJ56MJ56 BoltonPosts: 30

Oh thanks Bob, it's too large for a windowsill but we have a sunny lounge. i thought because it hadn't fully flowered it must be OK to put out for a bit longer. I live in  Lancashire though so maybe not!

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,277

Melanie, Chillies are actually short lived tender  perennials and if you can get them through winter they will crop  even better next year.  However as well as heat they need  good light levels. The following may help.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/grow-to-eat/how-to-grow-chillies-anywhere-in-britain/

AB Still learning

• MJ56MJ56 BoltonPosts: 30

Thanks Iain