An out of the Blue invite

My guess on why people bypass the profile is that most won't have a clue where it is or how to access it.

I just went into mine and discovered 2 'new' messages from months ago which I received no notification of.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

what is the short term members list?

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,985

I'm gonna be honest with you Mike, I think a lot of people's issue with you comes down to your style of writing, as much as what you say. I'm sure you're an affable chap in real life, but online, we only get your typed words to go on, and you have a habit of communicating in short, chopped up sentences. It makes you come over... a certain way ;P

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,866

Mike, how do you view other people's profiles?  I have clicked on your name and that just displays a list of contributions you have made.

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,985

I can't see Mike's profile either, it appears he doesn't have one.

Agree that having a profile is useful, especially if it includes where you live, ideally some details about your garden etc. So many people post questions without any of this useful information, several times I've gone to their profile to see if there's any information that might help.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,280
    nutcutlet says:

what is the short term members list?

See original post

That's what I was thinking nut  image

I never remember to look at profiles anyway. I just try and answer a query, and if I need more info, I ask the poster for it. Even if I did read the profile and it had useful info, I'd forget it by the time I went to reply....image

Of course, sometimes there's an ulterior motive for wanting more info about people. I ain't saying more image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Have I got a profile Fairy? I know I did have one years ago

thanks Pauline. image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,473

It's all in the words Mike.  Eg - invitation, not invite which is a verb, not a noun.   Then there's the tone of pontification, rather than the friendly info or chat.

For people passing through, profiles are an unnecessary faff that most don't even know are there to do.  For the rest, we get to know who and where we are and what we've done though the aforementioned chat.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,213

So Mike, if you had a profile what would it say? I really enjoy this forum even though I don't post very often - mostly 'cos I don't know what I'm talking about and am totally outclassed by most posters and their garden pictures, doesn't stop me pitching in occasionally.

Still enjoy all the 'conversations' yours included, don't be put off, plough on, of course it does depend what you want from a forum like this.

• GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 218

I just found my profile which is empty! It didn't used to be but it was not very interesting anyway. This forum is fab for help and info on our gardening dilemmas. I do not know why I would need to look at someone else's profile, I just need help! I know that someone with more experience than I have will be along to comment.

Mike has poor punctuation skills and that means his posts are difficult to understand at times.  So, to go back to the original post, I have no gripe with you Mike, just find your style a little difficult to understand at times.

Now no-one will speak to me again...