Growing Alisma Water Plantain from seed

We have masses of seed from this pond plant (Plantago Aquapism?) and have read that it can be propagated from seed.  Has anyone done this, and just how difficult are they to grow successfully?

• I am assuming that no-one has tried this, it will be a challenge to keep it alive (if it germinates).

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 345

Don't have an answer for you GD2 but according to waterside nurseries, it is recommended to dead head to stop self seeding.  Perhaps if you leave some on and let them do their thing you might be lucky.

• Thanks Angie, the flower heads have seeded, and I will be collecting the seed in the coming week. It is funny that the flowers came, but the leaves are almost all dead now, another pond plant that has struggled to stay alive in the water.  I may plant any that germinate around the pond instead of in it - or in the bog garden which is thriving.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

they self seed around my pond but I bought the first one, I've never tried to grow it in a pot

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390
    Guernsey Donkey2 says:

Thanks Angie, the flower heads have seeded, and I will be collecting the seed in the coming week. It is funny that the flowers came, but the leaves are almost all dead now, another pond plant that has struggled to stay alive in the water.  I may plant any that germinate around the pond instead of in it - or in the bog garden which is thriving.

See original post

You need to consider that marginal species like this are adapted to naturally fluctuating water levels i.e. high over winter and drying out in summer to damp mud, not to a constant water level which you get in many garden ponds. The leaves do die down early though so yours sounds normal. I'd expect the seeds to germinate well in damp/wet soil as you'd find around natural pond edges.

• Thanks for your input Nutcutlet and Onopordum, I may try to germinate some of the seed manually and leave the rest to drop and do their thing.  The problem with our pond surround is that the liner comes up out of the pond and overlaps the edges by a fair amount of the edge, so I doubt if much will germinate in that area, however never say no - we will see what happens.

I was concerned that the leaves were dying down before the seeds had completely set, but as you say Onopordum this seems to be the norm, so I will wait to see how it has survived over the winter months.