Forum home Plants

Japanese anemone planting query

Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453

Hi, I lifted a couple of Japanese anemones from my mum's Lincolnshire garden in late July and they have been in pots since then. One is doing fine and flowering and I'm thinking of putting it into the ground now. The other two are doing less well, with the original foliage having dropped off, but they both have some new small leaves at the base of the p!ant 

I've just read that they don't like being moved, so should I leave the two smaller ones in pots until the spring, or might they be ok going into the Aberdeenshire ground now? It is actually warm up here this week!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,986

I'd bung 'em in Stephanie. They're hard to kill! 

If the little ones are really tiny - leave them over winter by all means, and plant them out when they're  a bit bigger, but the fact that you've dug them up, shipped them up to Aiberdeen in wee pots and they're thriving, shows how easy they are to grow  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,322

I've dug some up 3 times now because they are the wrong colour (pink, I was promised white) and they are still there. And so are the ones I dug out and shoved in a hole in the grass which my OH then mowed. In the first year, you may not see much of them, but they'll be there, believe me. Come h*ll or - in your case - high water image

I've just resigned myself to pink anemones with orange crocosmias now. I'm even starting to like it image

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    raisingirl says:

I've just resigned myself to pink anemones with orange crocosmias now. I'm even starting to like it image

See original post

Style it out RG. Call it a hot bed with cool undertones! imageIncidently...I can kill them and have done so more than once. I'd love some in my garden. image

Last edited: 28 August 2017 17:27:26

• Stephanie newish gardenerStephanie newish gardener Aberdeenshire/Moray coastPosts: 453

Sounds like I've picked my kind of plant! And this one is white so maybe I can offer you some next year raisingirl image

The whites are nicest Stephanie image

I have one which is semi double - Whirlwind. Slightly smaller than Honorine Joubert. It's now produced a couple of seedlings, and they look pretty much like the parent. image

Heaven's sake Ppauper - what are you doing to them girl!  image

I plant them.They disappear.

I plant them. They disappear.

Last edited: 28 August 2017 17:35:57

Can't be the amount of rainfall - or they wouldn't thrive here.

Is it really boggy where you've had them? They seem to be invasive if you have drier, free draining soil, and I don't find them invasive here - presumably because of the cold, wet soil instead. I'm thinking that maybe boggy soil might be a bridge too far.....image

I've lost them from two very (80 miles apart) separate gardens. My neighbour here in bogsville gave me some bits she'd trailed out as she had soooooo many image. The other was a proper bought plant in a normal garden. 

I'll maybe try again up on the bank where it's nice and free draining and sunny. I see folk on here talking about weed treating fields of them.... image

Can't think of any other reason ppauper. Maybe you just have black thumbs where they're concerned!

Perhaps the people who are overrun with them could employ you to 'tend them' for a  small fee  image

Haha good idea! image