Weed eradication

imageimageimageimage

Can anyone advise me on how to eradicate this weed which has completely overtaken the garden in our new house

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

Spray it with a solution of Glyphosate.Follow the instructions on the pack.  Do it on a non windy day, as it will kill anything green. It will take a week or two to turn yellow and then die down. If it regrows, spray again in three weeks time.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Many thanks for that.  Have you any idea what it's called?

• WillDBWillDB Posts: 1,965

I think it's Redshank, a type of Persicaria.

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,543

I'm not 100% convinced it's 'Redshank', but it does look like a persicaria/polygonum leaf.  I grow this deliberately!  I was given a rooted cutting 25 years ago, and I now have a pretty large clump.  I like it, but don't regard it as a weed.  

If you don't,  it's easy enough to dig up, or as has been suggested, hit it with glyphosate.  image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,629

Persicaria campanulata. Mine was perfectly well behaved for the first 10 years or so. Then it spread a bit, so I split it and put some in a boggy hollow amongst trees, grandiosely known as 'The Dell'. That was the starting pistol.  It was off!

It has spread across the entire space and I am now pulling it up and bagging it so it hs no chance to re-root. A little stream runs through the Dell, so I can't use weedkiller and I don't want it following the stream to pastures new!

• Muddle-UpMuddle-Up Posts: 14,543

Buttercupdays....thank you!  I've waited 25 years to discover what variety of 'bistort' that plant was!  I love it, but mine's well-behaved, on a fairly damp and gloomy north facing border and although it has spread a little bit, it's never got out of hand.  It's planted with a huge cerise geranium psilostemon, which it helps to support.  Thank you!

Hope Ellen can now decide what to do with hers, now! image

Aberdeenshire, NE Scotland 🌞  
    FIDDLESTICKS AND FLAPDOODLE!
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 2,629

I love it too - it's really pretty and colours up up better in sunshine, starts flowering early and goes on to the frosts. But like several other things here, once I've found something that will survive the conditions (right plant etc) it goes on to do too well.

I have that Geranium too, gorgeous colour and not too liberal with the seeds, but as it is a large plant, I now have too many of them.   Same with  Euphorbia Fireglow,  Persicaria Taurus,  a lovely dark red daylily called Mallard, Chelone Obliqua the Turtlehead,Campanula lactiflora, and just added to the list, Crocosmia Lucifer! With a large garden in a large landscape I like and need large plants, but I also want more than just the same half dozen wherever I look!