Forum home Problem solving

So many spiders

Anyone know how to control the spider population in my garden? Every morning I have to break through half a dozen Webb just to get into the garden. They are just common garden spiders but there are so many of them.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098

I'm not sure why you'd want to 'control' them?

They're harmless - and part of the garden eco system. They clearly like where they live, so you're obviously providing everything they need to thrive. 

Particularly lovely on autumnal days when the moisture's on the webs.    image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

This is a non-problem - spiders live in gardens.

• ShepsSheps Posts: 909

I have loads in my garden too, they're great at catching Greenfly / Blackfly.

Also, I have loads of spiders living in the gravel part of the garden, my Hoggies are always snuffling them out for a quick snack.

• samyaxsamyax Posts: 2

Sadly no hedgehogs here - they'd have a great time with all the slugs and snails too.  Not sure they'd enjoy the busy road so much though.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,324

It's just that time of year ... Garden Orb spiders build their amazing webs about now because it's their breeding season.  The female will then guard her eggs until they hatch, but she will die of starvation because she's not left the nest to hunt for food for herself.  

Within a few weeks the webs will have disappeared and you'll miss them sparkling with dew in the morning sunshine  ... until this time next year image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,106

YOUR PHOTO SHOWS A SPIDER CALLED, IN LATIN, ARANEUS DIADEMATUS.

IF YOU TRANSLATE ITS NAME INTO ENGLISH, YOU MIGHT LIKE IT MORE, EVEN ADMIRE IT. 

IN ENGLISH, ITS LATIN NAME MEANS "THE SPIDER'S WEB THAT LOOKS LIKE A JEWELLED CROWN" AND WHEN YOU SEE ONE EARLY ON AN AUTUMN MORNING, SHINING IN THE SUN, IT IS A GOOD NAME FOR THAT SPIDER.

ALL THINGS BRIGHT AND BEAUTIFUL....

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,106

THERE YOU GO, DOVE MENTIONS ITS WEB AS BEING PARTICULARLY SHINY AND LOVELY.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,098

Men have no idea what we put up with Dove...image

I have loads of them at this time of year along the back fence in the ivy, although I haven't noticed any yet. Must go out in the rain and have a look  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

Spiders are also the main diet of Wrens and Robins so always good news to have them, even if you are arachnophobic.image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 6,414

Carry a garden cane and use that to break any webs which are in your way.  Leave the others alone would be my advice.