Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

New to irrigation, need help!

Hi,

I've purchased a property with a large garden laid almost entirely to lawn. I need to water it but can't figure out what products would be appropriate. I've spent a lot of time looking at the Hunter irrigation products with their pop-up sprinklers and large radius options and I think they're what I want but I'm not sure.

The lawn is about 60m x 60m, then there's hedge on 3 sides, and some front lawn as well. I know I want the drippy hose stuff for the hedges, but haven't got the first clue where to start in terms of laying pipe, where to put stuff, etc etc.

Is anyone able to help or suggest some good websites where I can learn about this stuff? I'm in/near Potters Bar should that make a difference.

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Welcome to the forum Jeremy image

Most established lawns  don't actually need watering if they're properly maintained,  or hedges for that matter  ... save your money and the planet ...  

I was born in Herts ... plenty of green hedges and fields without them being watered.  

I'm sure you've got other things to spend your hard earned cash on image

Last edited: 28 August 2017 10:15:57

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Dovefromabove says:

Welcome to the forum Jeremy image

Most established lawns  don't actually need watering ... save your money and the planet ...

I'm sure you've got other things to spend your hard earned cash on image

See original post

In the last month you're definitely right, given the amount it's rained. But before that the lawn was turning very brown and being badly scorched. In any case, the hedges DEFINITELY need a lot of TLC because they're in a terrible state so I want to be sure I'm doing everything properly from day 1 rather than running pipework and finding it isn't the right stuff!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I know you're probably worrying about dry spells and grass going brown, but seriously Jeremy - grass just recovers as soon as you get some rain.

Don't make yourself a slave to it - accept that it will look a bit rubbish at times, and concentrate on the parts nearest the house where you may want it to look a bit prettier. Take note of the bits that suffer most in dry spells, and don't cut it so short during that time.  That will help it thrive better  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Can you post some photos of the hedge ... we may be able to spot what' the problem could be and give you some pointers image

To post a pic start with the camera icon.  If they don't upload reducing the size usually works. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012

200 metres of 'drippy hose' are going to cost a small fortune and, as has been said, really isn't required once the hedge is established.