Forum home Plants

Unknown plant

imageimage

Sorry if pictures are displayed wrong. 

I was told what this plant was and made a note of it. ... lost the note, my wife asked me what is was and I cannot tell her. The seller showed me a picture online and and it had purple flowers. I could probably find out next Sunday if the same man is at the charity nursery. But it is bugging me.... please help. !!!

Thank you.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

The plant looks a bit like a type of Ceanothus, California Lilac, but not sure totally as it looks very yellow, but that could be it's not fed. That plant has purple/blue flowers.

• Thank you very much, that’s it. i get the same pictures doing a search for Ceanothus. Can you recommend a good plant feed, I want to get this plant the best it can be.

thank you.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

The colour of the leaves could be down to many reasons, but looking at your photos again, it does look like the soil and plant may have been over-watered to the point it can damage the delicate roots. The pot is small for the size of plant, which leads me to think it may have recently been potted into that pot, so care is needed right now, as damage roots can mean it's struggling to take in nutrients.

For now, I recommend a light feed of fish, blood and bone and incorporate a loam based compost into the ground. Plant in a sunny area, preferably against a warm wall for protection.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,198

Pot is very small for the size of the plant. The sooner you get it into the ground the better. image

It will probably have time to get reasonally well established before winter too. Be prepared for it dropping some leaves though, as it might get a bit of stress. As Borderline says, prep the hole well and keep an eye on it. Although they like sun  and well drained soil, you'll still need to water it in well, and water regularly, especially if there's a dry spell or you're in an area of low rainfall. Once it perks up, you can lay off watering, especially once autumn is well under way.

I'd be inclined to prune it back a bit too - it may struggle to support all the top if it has such a small rootball, while trying to get established. You may prefer to leave it for now though - see what the others think . 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thank you for such a full reply it really does help me. I was Going to plant it somewhere but after your reply it is going in a sunnier part of the garden.

Thank you.