Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Best tool for grass around shrubs and plants

Have been using a strimmer to cut the grass around my shrubs and plants but have not been very successful.  One time i managed to cut part of a plant plus I dont seem able to get as close as I would like.  I have seen strimmers which look to have a smaller head than the one I've got.  Would this be a better option or is there some other kind of tool i could use. I have had to resort to using kitchen scissors which took ages

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Strimmers can severely damage the bark on stems and trunks of shrubs and trees allowing infection and rot to set in ... I prefer to keep a circle of bare soil around the younger ones and underplant the mature ones with herbaceous perennials  and bulbs ... then all that should be needed is the occasional bit of hand weeding.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• susananwmssusananwms Posts: 213

Thanks for your replys.  Most of my garden is patioed so lawn is not that big.  I do have a border with plants in it but planted a few in the lawn itself.  At the beginning I did have earth around them with plastic and bark at the bases but eventually removed it all as made lawn look 'messy' for want of a better word. It all looks better now with lawn growing right up to plants and shrubs but cutting the grass close to them is a problem.  Think I will go for a new strimmer as mine is quite old and make sure I go for the best one for the job and use guard to protect the plants