Forum home Plants

Pulpy tomatoes

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081

Googled the problem,and as I understand it, it can be caused by low temperatures (unlikely) or inappropriate watering (probably -  I'm not really sure what I'm doing)

Can I do anything to rescue the unripe tomatoes or is the damage already done?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,270

Not sure what you mean ... pulpy ... can we have a photo? 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081

They're more 'pith' or soft pulp than seeds and juice and not much taste. The pith bit is sort of gritty.

They're gardeners delight which I believe should be very tasty

Last edited: 27 August 2017 12:31:47

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

That's unusual - what medium are you growing them in and are they in a greenhouse or outside?

If you like really tasty red cherry tomatoes, one I can highly recommend for next year is 'Suncherry Premium' which are from the same breeding line as the famous 'Sungold', so guaranteed to be sweet and juicy.  They've been the main cherry type I've grown for some years now and have never been disappointed.   I also grow "Gardener's Ecstasy" which are bred from "Gardener's Delight" but are heavier cropping with better disease resistance and (in my opinion) a better taste. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,081

Growing outside in containers in my own compost. Sheltered east facing plenty of sun. Fed twice with tomorite but it was very old. Watered in the morning unless very hot, then in pm too.

I'll make a note of that one BtG. Thanks . I like them to be a bit al dente. Mine are soft inside. I think it must be something I did wrongimage