Forum home Plants

Ivy question

imageHi there! I have ivy growing in a pot and it's got so big i can't even see the pot. I was thinking of ways to reduce the size of it. I was wondering if I could just split it doen the middle and put half in another pot, or do I just trim it back? Arden novice here so any advice greatly appreciated 

karen 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220

I like it as it is, but if you want to reduce it I would delve back into the base of the plant and remove some of the stems, thinning it out ... if the remaining stems are too long I'd cut some of them back by two thirds, but remember that this will trigger new side shoots to form so there will soon be more long stems than before.

If you want more ivy plants I'd select a long stem, put a pot of compost next to the plant and create a 'tip layer' ... details here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=358 but you won't need hormone rooting poweder for ivy.  It will root easily.

Last edited: 27 August 2017 11:48:47

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks dove from above! I think I'm going to leave at it is just now and try tip layering to get more plants.

I worry it's going to be totally squished in the pot. Should I be considering repotting the entire lot???? 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

A slightly bigger pot would be a good idea.  One thing you can do is raise the pot using a pot stand or similar, or even get a taller pot if you can find one which would let the ivy trail down more before it reaches the ground.  They do look very nice when allowed to do that. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Great idea bob! I'll get looking for a taller pot as I like it it when I see other peoples ivy trailing down 

thanks again to you both 

karen

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,220

I used to have one in a pot wedged into the top of an old chimney pot ... looked great. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 4,148

Ivy in a tall pot allowed to trail/hang down always looks good.

I would put in larger pot and do no more to it.

It looks so healthy.

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/12/2a/39/122a394506fc49c23d0affdcb276d0c2--garden-urns-grey-gardens.jpg

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • i ended up buying a tall, slightly wider pot on amazon. Think it may have made  a rash choice, lime green in colour. Goodness knows what I was thinking ???? When I get it transferred over I'll post a photo and you'll hopefully laugh along with me ?

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Have you any reclamation yards nearby ? Old chimney pots make interesting and effective planters .