Aaaaaaaargh!

Eeek, our new neighbour behind us has had tree people in all day to remove several large conifers and suddenly we can see a load of houses that we knew were there but couldn't see before!

I need suggestions for moderately tall, evergreen shrubs or trees that might be good to fill the gaps. This part of the garden gets lots of light. I want to go 3-4m high, reasonably dense and it must be wildlife friendly.

Last edited: 26 August 2017 22:26:17

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,510

Cotoneaster lacteus, flowers for the bees, berries for the birds

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 727

How about some conifers yourself Steve?

• I'm not a fan of conifers overall. Is there such a thing as a wildlife friendly conifer?

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 213

Sorry Steve there is no quick fix, if I've guessed your situation right. The only answer as, several people have said,is plant trees yourself, but your garden may not be big enough and trees grow slowly.  Please don't plant conifers. Yes they are faster growing mostly, but many are hideously ugly. Here's a left field suggestion. Smack in tall wooden poles without the side branch stumps cut off. Yes I know this is a challenge to find,  but a good timber merchant will help. Plant some clematis montana, any variety will do, as will the late flowering, most vigorous kinds. Don't get  the pretty but  little ones. They will ramp up the posts quickly (well within 2 years), obscuring the view and giving you sensational flowers throughout the from Spring through Autumn. Do you see now now why you can't use telephone posts? You may well have to do some tying in in the early stages and probably some engineering help with the posts, but trust me. Good luck. Ian. 

Don't listen to me I'm a raving lunatic. Read the next post.

Last edited: 26 August 2017 23:07:32

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 213

Hi Steve, 

Do I get a second chance? The clematis idea was right but the posts are wacko. I was thinking TREEEES.

Erect an open wire fence, the type they use around football pitches, in front of the view you want to obscure. Plant your clematis there. If left alone clematis will grow to 4-6 meters within two years. Good luck. Ian

Last edited: 26 August 2017 23:12:09

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,062

Steve ... Please don't plant Russian Vine ... You will regret it very quickly. It is only suitable for those who want one plant to cover at least an acre. I know of one plant that entirely swamped a house and garage. I know of another that has spread through and over a hedge for a quarter of a mile. It is not called Mile a Minute for nothing. I know that is not what you want 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 

nutcutlet says:

Cotoneaster lacteus, flowers for the bees, berries for the birds

See original post

I agree 

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • I'm getting notifications from the forum that a person I have blocked can still see my postings. I'd hoped a block would work both ways!

• NutC and Dove, the cotoneaster looks like it would get too wide for the space I have unless one can train it up and lift the crown?

Ingle, I really would prefer a single plan that will fill some airspace above the height of the fence?

Steve the Gardening Vet says:

I'm getting notifications from the forum that a person I have blocked can still see my postings. I'd hoped a block would work both ways!

See original post

No such luck unfortunately image

I'll have a think .... What about hawthorn?