The effect of Brexit on your garden

• Brexit shouldn't affect Bananas - they don't grow that many in Europe do they ?

OTOH, who knows these days - Brexit must be the biggest gift to politicians in several decades - shame they forget about the rest of us but nothing new there I guess.  Bunch of idiots - UK and Europe.  Rubbish !!!

Rant over :)
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,145
    Brexit affects anything imported or exported, be it foodstuffs or manufactured goods or services as well as the value of the pound and investment in factories so jobs and livelihoods.

If there's no deal, there'll be changes to border controls, checks and tariffs on everything because you have to go to WTO rules or you can't trade as EU rules will no longer apply and, so far, they only have deals with the Falklands and Switzerland as I understand it.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,624
    Brexit shouldn't affect Bananas - they don't grow that many in Europe do they ?

no, but as all the UK's trade deals are through the EU, the only deals 'ready to go' if we leave with no deal are with Chile, Switzerland, Mauritius, Madagascar, the Seychelles, Zimbabwe, Turkey and the Faroe Islands. We may be OK for fish, cuckoo clocks and actually bananas (they grow them in Madagascar, don't they?). But for most other things we'll have to grow our own for a while.
    Flying...
    Or am I falling?
  • Andy19Andy19 Posts: 610
    Might make more people take up gardening to grow there own. I work as a school janitor in my village Primary School and help run the garden club. Many of the local schools in the area have garden clubs a lot of the kids are really interested in gardening and love it they are the future.
  • My apologies - I should have put my grump on the Curmudgeon thread I think.  I do understand the WTO - what I do not understand is how a bunch of idiots can manage to make such a complete a**e of things.  I could go on but I won't - little point when we have made such a mess of things.
    Another point entirely but I shudder when reading about how "we" are now making great advances in exploring our universe.  Without question, it is interesting and exciting but as we are unable to look after our own planet, god only knows why we are expending enormous amounts of money and expertise on looking for somewhere else to ruin. 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    Brexit shouldn't affect Bananas - they don't grow that many in Europe do they ?

We buy French bananas in our local supermarket here in France.  ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    They may be French Papi Jo but not Metropolitan France!   They still have to come in by sea from the other side of the Atlantic.

Philippa - you are not alone.  It is clear that no-one on the UK side knew or understood  the ramifications of what they were getting into or out of nor how to go about it nor what they wanted but at least the EU 27 knew what they wouldn't accept.   Shambles all round.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    Obelixx said:
    They may be French Papi Jo but not Metropolitan France!   They still have to come in by sea from the other side of the Atlantic.

Now, Obe, you are quibbling. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
    edited 19 February
    Well, I have only recently realised Guadeloupe and Martinique are considered to be France abroad.  Odd that people form the Vendée go there for some warmth and sun but hence why so many of our new sewing and golfing and dancing friends disappear there.  Not the gardeners tho for some reason, or not that I've come across so far.
  • Papi Jo - forgive me but whilst your Bananas may have a French label on them I doubt they were grown in that country and that is what I meant.  Having lived in France myself on and off over 30 years, I cannot recall a Banana plantation - could have missed it I suppose ?
    No Obelix is not quibbling - grown in France ( or anywhere else you care to mention ) should mean grown there - not imported from colonies, former colonies or WHY.  The labelling is at fault as it is for much of the food we purchase in the SM's these days.