The effect of Brexit on your garden

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 840
    I'd love to dig up my grass too but apparently my grandchildren need it.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,311
    We’ll need grass to feed the unicorns  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RubytooRubytoo On the sofa, Southerly aspect.Posts: 1,185
    Will it affect the chemicals used in the garden?
    Will we be able to produce lots of noxious things to kill all the bugs or bring back that pretty purple stuff. Cheshunt compound?
    Can't remember what it was for now,  fungicide?
    Very pretty purple it was though.

I am being a tad facetious about UK being allowed or making its own regulations and rules to manufacture nasty things for sprays. I expect China will send along some nice underarm deodorant that will double up and is suitable for killing greenfly.

Generally we are in a gardening era that is far more aware of what damage can be caused with indiscriminate use of chemicals. It is not all easy or cut and dried.

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,885
    If l got rid of the lawn, my OH would probably divorce me. I have to resort to claiming little bits at a time.... >:)
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,568
    That’s what I do,   Can you just dig this little for me please, I don’t think he minds, it’s him that cuts the grass. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,885
    We have curved beds, OH has a good eye for a curve (that's why he married me ;) ). I just dig a bit out surreptitiously,  he notices the curve has gone a bit wonky and reshapes it. It's a bit like painting the Forth bridge,  l go all the way round the garden, then start again !
    Same here😀

I always buy UK grown fruit and veg, if I can’t buy English strawberries at Christmas, I’ll go without,  don’t find the Spanish ones nice anyway.   The last ones I bought I had to make a crumble with them!
     We still have English apples here and of course lots grown in Cornwall, potatoes, greens and cauliflowers. 

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942
    I buy seasonal fruit and veggies too and as local as possible.  Lots of market gardening and orchards in the Vendée as well as beef cattle (tho I find beef boring), well brought up poultry and pigs, oyster and mussel farms and fishing ports.  Lamb tends to be Welsh or Scottish so not sure what'll happen to that.

Still have to by foreign bananas for OH's breakfast and citrus fruits tend to be Spanish or Moroccan.   We like avocados and mangoes too and they're definitely not local..
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,942
    I only eat them if they're ripe enough to make a cake.  OH has one every day.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw