The effect of Brexit on your garden

• Lots of weird comments so far as well as sensible ones but hasn't anyone noticed that this is the first August Bank Holiday since Brexit  referendum which is warm and sunny.  And wasn't it dry at Glastonbury this year too ?  Practically unheard of beforeimage

I didn't vote for Brexit but maybe I'll change my mindimage

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,882

LB - sometimes the only thing to do with a thread is head off topic.

However, at the mo, plants and seeds can move freely within EU borders.   

Given the huge numbers of bedding plants, bulbs, perennials, trees and shrubs that are grown in bulk on the continent and then shipped en masse to the UK I should think Brexit will already have affected prices and once the divorce is complete it may well affect availability of plants and tools for gardens depending on what the UK team can negotiate and whether or not the UK decides to restrict or otherwise control imports to protect not only home growers and producers but also keep out unwanted organisms.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,621

I did potato picking twice, we used to get half a bucket of the cut potatoes to take home as well as pay. I thought that was what half term was  for.  It was always called potato picking week. I did peas once. That was backbreaking. Then I got old enough to get a job in a shop. Newsagent with wandering hands, followed by Woolies cheese counter one Xmas, then a Sweet shop. 

I get really peed off when someone who signs the back of prescriptions as income support, moans that they have to pay for  antimalarials for their jaunt to the Gambia.

As one of the staff said, you don't need antimalarials for a week in Skegness.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,257

WITH GLOBAL WARMING, SOON, FIDGET, SOON.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • pi

• I had cherry tomatoes in my hanging baskets this year, I've been overrun with them! I'll be living off tomato sauce for the next month!

• granmagranma Posts: 1,829

I'm with pansyface on this one  and all the rest in same frame of mind .....just to be awkwardly in agreance !image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 26,626

Ah - another daft thread.  Just what I need while relaxing  image

Brexit isn't going to affect my garden, or anyone else's up here north of the border. We'll be reinstating 'the wall' just to make sure.  

Now where is the phone number for those Mexicans? Mr Trump - you have it don't you?.... 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BLTBLT Posts: 525
    I am not gonna dig up my lawn.. I do grow as much as I can and swop crops and plants with other mates who garden. I am not doing any more or less..We do what we can.. I hope to do some digging this weekend...
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,538
    I’d love to dig up my grass, I’d rather plant and weed than tend grass. Never possible though, just a pipe dream. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.