The effect of Brexit on your garden

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,271

OK, SWAP THE BUCKETS OF YORE FOR A COMBINE.

GIVE THE KIDS THE KEYS AND TELL THEM NOT TO COME BACK UNTIL THE JOB'S DONE. 

ANY YOUNG PERSON THESE DAYS KNOWS HOW TO WORK A COMPUTER. MOST OF THEM ROUND HERE KNOW HOW TO DRIVE BY THE TIME THEY ARE FOURTEEN.

THEY'D LOVE IT.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,306

I'm sure they'd love it image   ... I don't expect the companies insuring the machinery would tho' image  The job of a Farmworker/technician is highly skilled involving a lot of training nowadays. 

This might be of interest to some http://www.fwi.co.uk/business/pay-survey-who-gets-what-in-the-farm-industry.htm 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,622

Maybe if the maximum that a family could get on benefits ,was reduced to that of an adult working 40 hours a week on minimum wage , less tax and NI, then a few of those that have never worked might deem it better to try and get any job, than sit at home.  I work in a Pharmacy with an attached subpost office, and it is totally demoralising for the staff who work their butts off for a bit above minimum wage, to see those who are on various benefits collecting their weekly dole, which is often more than the staff get for working. The current maximum is £24,000 per year.  A person would need to earn 30k to take home that.   We should always look after those who are ill or have fallen on hard times, but the welfare state should be a safety net, not a feather bed.

I think that no developer should be given permission to build on a greenfield site in an area where there are brownfield sites.  There are acres of victorian housing and derelict factories that need clearing and rebuilding as new eco friendly homes.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941

Have to agree Fidget.  When did it stop being a safety net?

I spent my teen years in Cheshire countryside.  I went potato picking once.  Back breaking, filthy, cold and badly paid.   Ditto turkey plucking once at Xmas.  The farmer brought us the corpses still twitching but at least he was no Bernard Matthews.  The turkeys were grown to order and had a good life and space to move once they'd gone into the barn for the final fattening.

After that I got a paper round and a Saturday job in a shop.  Much better conditions and pay.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

They'd have been much harder to pluck cold Obs  ... and the skin would have torn image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 17,941

I know Dove but a still twitching turkey is not like a pheasant or a grouse!  I was 14 or 15 and had come from the suburbs of Manchester.  Loved all the fresh air and open space but not so much the gory and smelly bits.   Cheshire so lots of dairy but also pig muck spreading.........  I can remember having to ride my bike thru piles of disinfectant soaked hay to get to and from school during a foot and mouth break out.   Clearly far more local and less devastating than the recent ones.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,592
    Hostafan1 says:

and when they've finished in the fields, shove them up chimneys.

See original post

You can't pass building regs with a chimney in a new house image. And even really small children won't fit up a gas flue image. You could possibly employ them to program the heating controls though image

Building on a brownfield site is much more expensive than building on greenfield and houses are already too expensive. The only house many people can afford is a very small new build as it is - if that new build were required to be built on brownfield land, the millennials would have even longer to save up to get one.

Flying...
    Or am I falling?

I used to pluck geese image

At the age of 16 Ma left her office job in Luton to become a Landgirl, having enjoyed summers spent feeding the chickens and calves on her uncle's farm ......... a steep learning curve for her too image  but eventually she became a farmer image

Last edited: 26 August 2017 16:58:18

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,732

Well Inglezinho, when you started this thread with a statement were you expecting to get the full outpouring of verbal diarrhoea that you eventually ended up with? Still I guess it gave people the chance to offload any concerns they may have had even if they appear to have lost the plot completely, made completely irrelevant comments and segued off into what used to be.

My garden won't be affected by Brexit. It will carry on needing weeding, pruning, plant re-siting etc. etc.

Last edited: 26 August 2017 17:40:32

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,962

Well just as well you've come along to steer us back to the straight and narrow eh?

Devon.