Forum home Plants

Ideas for Plants

DYLDYL Posts: 67

I have cleared a border in my garden and last weekend I installed a small water feature. Next to it I have planted an Acer.

I'm looking for ideas as to what will look nice around the water feature itself. I am thinking in my head I want a few nice plants around it and certainly something at the back that is a little taller. When I say the back, I'm thinking in terms of when I'm sat at the table on my patio, if you know what I mean! 

The border itself doesn't get a lot of sun as the garden is east facing, so the hedge at the back of the border is on the south side. The border does get some late afternoon sun.

I have added some pictures so you can try and get a feel for the space.

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Some of the water will splash over the plants so that defines a bit what you can put around it. Bergenias don´t care much about strong sunlight and love moist, so do hostas, heucheras, tiarella. Ciclamen for winter interest a little forward, actaea behind for height and purple leaves. Whatever you choose, I would create a little "jungle", especially in the area ahead of it, so as not to divert the eyes from the water feature itself (at least, at first sight).