Forum home Fruit & veg

Tomato disease identification

Hi there

My tomatoes are still producing tomatoes but look sick

Symptoms

include yellowing of the leaves at the bottom of the plant making the leaves a petaly texture and is gradually working up them

The top leaves which are new have a purply colour to them

Some branches have dried up completely leaving behind crunchy brown leaves. but this hasn't affected any fruit trusses

the leaves are generally very patterned see photos

is it a deficiency

I am using tomorite

thanks,

Daniel

imageimageimage

• They may also be stunted growth or i could be making it up

I have had tomatoes since mid July with many tomatoes still green and have had a good harvest so far

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

The lower leaves will start to go yellow as the season progresses, cut them off - the plant no longer needs them. I've removed about the lower 1/3 of leaves from all mine a few days ago.
    the purple blotches are also typical and caused by environmental conditions, usually a chilly night after a warm day and it causes some apparent minor leaf damage (a chemical reaction inside the leaf goes a bit wrong). Nothing to worry about, just leave them.
    If the leaves go curly - that's down to draughts and nothing to worry about either.

As you say, the plants are doing their stuff and producing well, so that means you're doing a good job. Just remove a few yellow leaves and carry on doing what you're doing

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Thanks for the reasurance pete8 and intresting to know why too.

Also do you perhaps know what causes the yellow leaves

Thanks

Daniel

As the leaves get older they start to loose their efficiency. If the leaf costs the plant more energy to maintain than the leaf returns to the plant it's not worth having, so the plant cuts off the nutrient supply and that leaf dies so that the plant can put energy into making a new more efficient leaf - it's that sort of idea 

Hope your good harvest continues for many weeks!

• Thanks pete8 for your wisdom

For future reference what kind of symptoms would indicate a disease?

Thanks Daniel

Thanks Daniel - you're welcome.
    As to what symptoms constitute disease..... hmmmm

As my Doc sometimes says when I ask him why have I got an ache here, his reply is often 'it's caused by wisdom - which of course comes with age'
    It's too broad a question Daniel.
    As you grow wiser - you'll get to know ;)

In the mean time, just ask us here

• imagehello,Can someone help me to identify the diseases of tomatoes ?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142

Hi ... we need close up photos of the leaves ... can't see much from that photo even when I zoom in, other than drooping leaves.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• imageimageimageimageimage   what do u think 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,142

I still can't see the leaves clearly ... we need more of a close up.

In the meantime, are these plants in the open air or in a greenhouse or polytunnel ... what have temperatures been like lately ... from a distance they look a bit scorched. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh