Caterpillar with a spike??

Found this incredible 7cm caterpillar in the garden this morning. Any ideas as to which species it belongs to?
Thanks!

Last edited: 23 August 2017 15:47:25

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525

If the picture won't upload reduce it's size ... that usually works image

But from your description I'd make a guess at a Privet Hawk Moth caterpillar.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ahhh I was wondering why the photos wouldn't upload! I just searched up the privet hawk moth and it's a much brighter green than the caterpillar that was in the garden earlier. I'll have another go at uploading the photos. Thank you!

• Hopefully this has got it...image

The degree of green-ness can vary and be paler - particularly as they get bigger and nearing time to pupate image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hmmm ... possibly the Bedstraw Hawkmoth ... the colours do vary quite a bit

have a look here https://tagishwildlife.wordpress.com/2013/08/15/bedstraw-hawk-moth-caterpillar/ 

• Thank you!

image  Aren't they wonderful creatures? 

• They are beautiful!