Who is this visitor?

On my nightly slug patrol  (I do leave them for wildlife) I came across this little person. After finally giving up with my mini pond in a container 2 years ago, this summer I now have 3 frogs, a slow worm, birds, bees and butterflies galore and hedgehog droppings. So glad all my wildlife planting and shallow dishes of water are working but is this a baby lizard or a newt?

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Newt. They spend the vast majority of their time out of the pond, only really going back for mating.

• KaymayKaymay Posts: 70

Thank you FloBear. Such a thrill when you see new wildlife. I did try to Google so cheers for the reply

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,427

Gosh it does look large!!!......I always thought newts were quite small 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,471

It's a newt looking for slugs and bugs image

Looks like either a Smooth or Palmate newt ... Palmates have spotted throats - Smooth newts don't. 

Last edited: 23 August 2017 06:00:29

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Mary370, no it is very small about 1 inch.The photo is deceiving. 

Dove thank you for that, I was wondering which type it was. Will have to see if it returns tonight!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,819

How lovely for you Kaymay. Just shows how we don't need a huge pond for attracting all sorts of wildlife into a garden. Greta photo too  image

Maybe you'll have to stop your nightly slug patrol now - you've got a built in worker instead  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks Fairygirl. I do love my potter around in the dark!!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,819

We're all weird really Kay  image

It's those little pleasures (and I'm talking about the newt, not your nightly wander! image) that make gardening so enjoyable though  image

Last edited: 23 August 2017 13:08:56

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• The_herpetologistThe_herpetologist West YorksPosts: 433

Female smooth newt, lissotriton vulgaris, although there's nothing vulgar about this specimen, she's beautiful!

Not impossible that she's a Palmate, but they are rare in gardens.

Last edited: 24 August 2017 17:34:20

Thank you honest h.