Forum home Plants

orchid

B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070

What should I do with  this?

It's  been  hanging on in quiet  desperation  for a year or so and now I'm  getting  the guilts. 

In London. Keen but lazy.

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070

No it's a stick. The brown, dead bit is the flower spikeimage

It seems to have been potted in bits of wood. Do I have to buy some special compost?

Is a clear pot necessary?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,251

Yes, use a clear pot (I've seen them in Homebase) and an orchid potting mix which is just bits of bark and similar stuff.  

Cut the old brown stalk off down low and tuck those two new aerial roots into the new pot.  (They might not choose to stay there ... if they want to wander about out of the pot that's ok too)

Give it a soak after re-potting then let it drain.  Don't let it stand in water.

The roots will turn green when it's been watered ... don't water again until they've lost their green colour.

You can give it a few drops of Baby Bio Orchid Food as directed on the bottle.  Keep it on a north facing windowsill and keep the air fairly humid ... fortunately our bathroom has a north facing window. 

Last edited: 22 August 2017 18:43:26

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,070

Thanks all.