Forum home The potting shed

Layering Bulbs In Containers

2»

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,797
    plant pauper says:

Maybe I'm just not very good at it but I find with bulb layering there is a constant display of stuff going over. image 

See original post

I tend to 'layer' ones that bloom around the same time - maybe 3 or 4 weeks maximum between them. So my narcissus pot I described above are all March/April flowering.

I find it a handy way to get more flowers out of one pot, just because bulbs like to be at different depths. My soil is hard on bulbs - heavy acidic clay - very few survive and the ones that do are usually eaten by June (the month, that is, not some weird old lady in the village who likes snacking on other people's daffs). Alliums are the only ones that seem to survive - I guess the rats aren't keen on raw onion but in a bad year they may eat those too. The voles ate my cyclamen this year. So the only way for me to grow bulbs is in pots. I don't have many pots. I get as many bulbs as I can in every one. I would far rather grow them in open ground but I have had to adapt. I could just not bother, but I like daffs and tulips especially and would miss them if I had none at all.

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • MrsFoxgloveMrsFoxglove SurreyPosts: 180

raisingirl I sent a picture to my friend last night of the black and white tulips- so classy lookingimage

I'm actually heading to Wisely for the shop as it happens, I'm a member and normally have the hubby and little one in tow so as I have this afternoon all to myself I thought I'd go wild in the aisles without them for distraction image

I'll have a little wander around the garden too as it'll be a novelty not having to chase a toddler around it! 

I really hope the have some bulbs in stock too. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,661

I rather like the idea of a weird lady eating the daffs, r'girl  image

I'm also on heavy, wet soil, but I just plant up separate containers and move them as they come into flower or go over. image

Ppauper - yes must try harder  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl says:

I'm also on heavy, wet soil, but I just plant up separate containers and move them as they come into flower or go over. image

See original post

I don't have enough pots or the mental resources to remember what I put in where.  image Usually by the time they come up it's a complete surprise to me because I've long since forgotten what I planted

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

"I've long since forgotten what I planted"

Like me and the delphiniums that turned out to be wood anomones. image

First laugh of the day goes to RG and June!!!!!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 40,661

I quite like a surprise r'girl  image

Not that it ever happens of course, as I carefully label everything.... image image

I think we need a smiley that has a Pinnochio style 'growing nose'   image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

plant pauper says:

First laugh of the day goes to RG and June!!!!!

See original post

image image

I do label stuff. No, honestly. It's just the writing rubs off.

"pinnochio smiley"