The birds return

It's nice to see the birds starting to return to the garden after the usual summer abscence.  Only seen sparrows all summer. The wee coal tits are back too but they are too fast to get a good shot.  

Last edited: 21 August 2017 20:02:08

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,421

Lovely pictures 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,713

Admittedly I don't know much about birds , but have you heard of the almost symbiotic relationship between the common Holly tree (Ilex aquifolium) and blue-tits ?

Apparently the holly-leaf miner larvae emerge at almost exactly the same time as fledgeling blue-tits ; a ready made feeding ground .

These minute insects are responsible for the brown scars often seen on the leaves of holly , but cause no harm to the tree .

Hmmm....Holly and Hawthorn ; two of the best trees anyone can plant in my opinion .

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Great shots!

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Thank you Mary.

Yes, B3 something I did know and about the hawthorn too.  I have a hedge of Ilex aquifolium JC Van Tol and good for all the birds.  I don't trim it very often and it flowers and berries well.  The blue tits are always in the hawthorn tree.  I do have one but know deep down it will eventually get too big for my wee garden so intend to enjoy it for just a couple of more years before I need to do something about it.

Thank you Clarington.  More luck than skill with the camera I'm afraid!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,473

I managed to miss this thread yesterday somehow. Really lovely photos Angie  image

Insect life and the relationship with birds is always fascinating, and it's easy to see why weather and climate (change, or otherwise depending on your views) can have a devastating effect if it all doesn't happen at just the right time for fledglings. 

'My' coal tits have been very busy again recently too Angie. I was watching one yesterday for a while in the 'cage'. They obviously feel very safe in there. He was perched happily for ages, stuffing his little face. I wasn't far away either, but they're used to me now, and don't really get worried at all. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,421

I'm hoping to plant a mixed native hedge in the autumn 

Last edited: 22 August 2017 15:40:29

• Lovely photos AngieR, those dear little birds give us much pleasure - it would be awful to see them decline further - we have lost so many in the past few years - we belong to the RSPB and it is sickening to see how many are shot or netted on their migrations.  I can't understand the mentality of some people who spoil it for everyone else.

Rant over.

Yes, we have holy and hawthorn in our front garden - they are wonderful trees for attracting wildlife.  We have birds nesting in the hawthorn during the spring and the holy blue butterfly likes to breed in the holy tree as well as the berries attracting the winter birds to feed on them.  We have mini holy trees sprouting up all over the garden but that is not a problem - it just shows that the birds have been feasting on the berries - cotoneaster is another well loved berry producing plant.

• Great bird pictures Angie!

My Chickadees sort of resemble the bird in your first pic.

Managed to get the water changed in my fish tanks and then down to the river to feed birds before it got really hot out there.

imageimageimageimage

The last picture is a Chickadee I have recognized for some time. I call him Scruffy because his feathers are messed up in a particular way. lol

Last edited: 22 August 2017 20:04:47

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

Coaltits never hang around to feed here Fairygirl.  They much prefer a quick take out!  Lovely wee birds aren't they?  Glad to read they feel safe in your 'cage'.

Birds will love that hedge Mary370.

We often have the conversation about the birds GD2.  What annoys us the most is when they show pictures of rare birds' nests and give a brief description of their location.  If these folks are hell bent on trapping and stealing birds/eggs then they will go to the bother of investigating exactly where they are.  My rant over too.  Love watching the wee birds, I am trying to get my wee grandson interested too.

I think the chickadees are quite similar to our Great Tits Johnny canoe.  Marvellous pictures btw!  I'd think all my christmases had come at once if a bird ever landed in my hand.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,473

Yes Angie  - their normal habit is to grab something, and then run for cover. I'm surprised at how happy they are in there, but I assume they've become accustomed to the safety of it. There's plenty of cover close to the cage, but they sit in there eating away, even when I'm nearby. They were in there today while I worked at the pond a few feet away.  It's lovely to see them  image

Wish you success with the grandson - my oldest daughter loved spending time watching the birds in the garden when she was little.  She still does it now and again - especially if I tell her something new is out there. We can happily spend a few minutes watching them and just enjoying the moment. She's 23 image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....