Forum home Plants

Bedding plants for winter colour

I want some bedding plants that will provide colour from November through till Spring. These bedding plants will replace my begonias which i will be taking out at the end of October. P.S. I don't get much sun and it will be the dead of winter when they go in. Please advise.

Regards,

Rob.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,507

Winter flowering pansies might fit the bill Robert.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,293

I find 'winter' flowering pansies don't do much when it's really wintry, though they are nice in early spring.

Primroses and polyanthus are hardier, especially dark leaved Primula Wanda if you can find it, but even they look a bit sad after a hard frost.

You are really better off with evergreens that have the built in antifreeze that flowers lack: small Euonymus, Pieris, variegated ivies and hardy, evergreen grasses can give a cheerful show whatever the weather and go on to complement your later plantings.

If you add some small bulbs like snowdrops, Scillas, dwarf crocuses and narcissi,  you should get flowers from the middle/end of Jan onwards, depending on where you live.

Hellebores can also flower early, it depends on variety, some start before Christmas, but they are perennials not 'bedding plants' and rather expensive to throw out when flowering comes to an end for this year !

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,118

I'd agree with B'cupdays. Small evergreens, bulbs, and a few primuals would be beautiful.

A bed of Heucheras (and their close relations) would also be ideal. You could add small bulbs to add an extra boost for the end of winter into spring.

I actually passed a house today which had a little raised bed near the front door, about two square metres in size. It had three types of heuchera in it, a really dark plummy one, a bright yellowy/gold one and a caramel one, and it looked stunning. North facing aspect so very little sun. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I agree with Fairy, the evergreen heucheras look beautiful. Will be trying them this year in hanging baskets too, but as you know they are perennial rather than bedding but will keep structure throughout the year & some have interesting flowers in Summer too.