Forum home Plants

Perennial Shade Collection

I recently purchased the Perennial Shade Collection from T&M made up of Digitalis, Geranium, Meconopsis and Alchemilla.  

I put the plants in five inch pots and they have all grown to about the size of a small lettuce.

I really don't know when to plant them out in the garden and am concerned as I don't want the slugs to eat them and don't want to put pellets down as we have a couple of hedgehogs visiting each night.

Should I keep them in pots for another few weeks or plant them out? Will they need feeding and staking?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,576

I would let them get a bit bigger and then plant them out in a well prepared bed.   The slugs and snails will only go for the poppy I think.  In my experience, foxgloves, geraniums and alchemilla are not attractive to slimesters.  You could protect the mecomopsis with copper rings and a much of lime free sand and grit within the ring.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Slugs will not eat any of those plants so you are fine to plant them out.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 4,296

They most certainly do eat Meconopsis - the blue ones anyway! They like the young growth best, before it gets too hairy.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Gosh I have never noticed them going for my meconopsis in my garden. Perhaps they are too well hidden to be found!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Many thanks for all the advice.