Forum home Plants

Cannas

InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567

I am struggling to grow Cannas as our soil is too dry. Despite watering almost daily, our hot dry conditions and poor soil (Brazil) mean they are anaemic specimens. I have tried growing them in large pots with rich soil, and this is good but they quickly fill them, as well as still needing daily watering. 

I thought of digging out a bed then filling it with a plastic water container ( kids's swimming pool) creating a sort of mini bog garden. Would it work do you think?

Last edited: 21 August 2017 02:00:34

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.

• DimWitDimWit Posts: 553

Where are you in Brazil? I am near São Paulo and cannas do fine (even if not properly attended). Cannas like moist soil but not wet all the time, you could try to improve the soil with orchid compost, which is widely available in Brazil, with coconut coir and a pretty lot of humus.

Last edited: 21 August 2017 02:07:12

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567

Hello Dim. We live in Bragança Paulista. I know it's ridiculous but our cannas are such measly things. I think it's our soil. The previous owner bought about 300 tons to level off a steep site, but I think he got ripped off. It is terra de barranca.

Improving the soil is not practical. There is too much of it and I am 70! We need quick fixes, hence my idea. Abraços. Ian.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,944

I think your idea isn't a bad one, but you'd still need to make drianage holes in whatever you plant them in.

Could you build a permanent raised bed of some time and fill it with good soil and manure?  Line the bottom (and sides) first to retain moisture, and make some holesin the bottom. Cannas need rich, moist soil and plenty of food and water, so you'll  always be struggling I think, unless you do something like that.

Alternatively -  forget Cannas, and grow something more suitable for the conditions image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 567

I watched Monty Don recently and he said he has his cannas planted in wet soil by a poolside. I have also seen  them grown this way in Brazil. I've just updated this thread. It's now called "Cannas in a tub". There is nothing more suitable for tropical conditions than cannas! I love them. Just want to do it better...Most of the other stuff that likes tropical conditions and doesn't mind dry poor soil we already have Hibiscus, Madagascar periwinkle, Marigolds, Salvia plus about 100!

Last edited: 25 August 2017 22:57:52

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,284

I had to dump almost 200 ( yes two hundred) cannas earlier this year as they'd all become infected with virus which is rife in UK now. image

Devon.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Blinking heck HF, that is a lot of cannas! I tried them twice here in Scotland but unsurprisingly they were poorly specimens! Tooo much rain but not enough sun to offset that!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller