Forum home The potting shed

Oh not the aster too....

Having found out that my old Queen fabiolas are now Tritelias, telling a friend that I was sure it was a Dicentra when it was labelled a Lamprocapnos, to read that asters are now called symphyotrichum, I can not keep up with all the new plant names. It's hard enough to remember all the old ones!!!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,590

LEAVE IT A FEW YEARS AND THEY WILL ALL JUST BE "THAT PINK THING I BOUGHT AT THE CAR BOOT SALE" AND "ER, THAT JOBBIE WITH THE YELLOW WHATSITS".

OLD AGE HAS ITS BENEFITS.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KaymayKaymay Posts: 72

image Yes you are right pansyface. To those of us of a certain age plants will remain the same old same old " I got that from........(if I can remember)

• Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 2,320

This used to drive my dad wild too. Blame the Botanists & modern genetics, genetic studies are finding new relationships between plant species where once it was all based on the physical characteristics, you could see. What was so wrong with Umbellifers ? 

Last edited: 21 August 2017 11:47:05

AB Still learning

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

Someone wanted a sedum IDd recently and it's now called a hi lo phone... something something... image

• B3B3 Posts: 12,481

A rose by any other name....

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 4,057

No consolation, but it's not limited to plants.  I used to keep tropical fish many years ago and loads of them were renamed too.

• JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

If you are some dead beat Botanist that no one has heard off and wanting funding from the gov or other agency, they will not support dead beats, but now someone who has "renamed" some plant species he or she must be someone special and needs to be sponsored!

We sometimes have something like this in our works, everyone knows about it, but they get the funding and keep their positions!

And also get a larger size of hat!