Forum home Plants

Alliums

zakzakzakzak Posts: 112

I live in north yorkshire not far from the north yorkshire moors.I would love to grow some of the beautiful allium. Can anyone recommend were to buy from. And which variety are the best show. I'm liking the huge one myself.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

Some of the most spectacular are the most expensive. I have seen Globemaster at 9 quid a bulb.

I prefer to have lots and  Purple Rain and Purple sensation are reasonable to buy in packs of 50. (15 to 20 quid for 50) That way you can put them through the border in between other perennials.

I also like Allium Christophii, it flowers slightly later, big heads.

All are easy to grow if you get the biggest bulbs you can get, and plant deep, around six inches.

Last edited: 20 August 2017 21:26:53

• zakzakzakzak Posts: 112

Oh right thanks. Would I be able to grow allium in pots.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Derbyshire but with a Nottinghamshire postcode. Posts: 16,470

You need large deep pots to grow them well. One year I had a load left over, I thought to put them in small pots and then plant out where I wanted . It was not a success. They died off early without flowering.  Now I put any left overs in a line in the veg patch and use them as cut flowers for the house.

• Torg22Torg22 Posts: 302

I definitely recommend growing some Christophii, ive had almost 100% success with these over the last few years whereas some of my globemasters and ambassadors have been a little hit and miss. The Christophii are fun to watch grow too as the heads can grow massive. Ive had one or two that had a heads with diameter of over a foot. 

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949
    flowerpower15 says:

Oh right thanks. Would I be able to grow allium in pots.

See original post

I wouldn't recommend it. I tried this year as I'm currently playing ideas with my garden and thus it is quite the state. 

They were disappointing to say the least!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,135

You can grow some of the short varieties in  pots - I've done it quite often - but the tall ones need support, and they look odd more than anything if grown just as a pot specimen.. The foliage isn't very attractive by the time they flower either.

If you slot them, in the pots, into a border so that foliage is hidden, they'd be ok. Experiment  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....