Forum home Plants

Shrub Rose for a shady front garden?

Hi just wondering if there is a Shrub Rose that will be happy in a shaded garden?  Only gets about 2 hrs of direct sunlight in the Summer months.  Is a small East facing garden with many large trees near by which block out the direct sun light.  And after 12.30 ish the front garden is in the shadow of the house.

Thanks for any input.

• chickychicky Posts: 10,402

We are about to get a James Galway for a North facing wall, because it is recommended for shade.  Howeve, the deed is not yet done, so I can't vouch for the outcome image

A phone call to the nice people at David Austin or Peter Beales should get you some good advice image

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016

Shrub roses tend to like a bit more sun than you can offer but some climbing roses do OK as they can get higher towards the light.    In my last garden, I planted a David Austin Falstaff shrub rose in a bed next to a north facing wall - direct sun before 9am and after 3pm in the height of summer.   It was healthy but didn't produce many blooms tho they were lovely and well perfumed.

Have a look at the David Austin website which lists roses they think suitable for shade and also Heirloom roses.   Then, when you find one or two you like, contact their help desks for advice.   They'll be happy to help.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,904

I had a Rosa 'Buff Beauty" in a north facing inner city back yard and it flowered beautifully ... but it's quite a large shrub.  

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I do sympathise because I adore roses, and therefore have tried growing them in shade many times with only limited success. Mostly they do not flower very well (if at all) and/or produce long gangly shoots which then frustratingly flower at the very top and over the fence in your neighbour's garden. This is true even of the varieties which are supposed to be shrubs. Many species of rose are destined to scramble over other things in order to flower in the sun, and the prickly beasts have a habit of turning aerial in order to do this. So, yes they survive, but they're not the happiest choice for a shady spot because they will never quite fill your heart with the pride of the rose-grower that you seek... Some tolerate shade slightly better than others but the emphasis is definitely on the word 'tolerate'. You could try 'Iceberg' (though blackspot will defoliate it); some of the Hybrid Musks are OK (Moonlight, Buff Beauty as suggested above) and as others have said, the David Austin or Peter Beales websites will help on specific varieties. The best thing to use in a shady location if you want good flowering and a rounded habit on a modestly sized shrub is really a hydrangea--there are loads of wonderful varieties, not just the bog standard seaside sort...

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,016

I agree really.  Forget roses and plant a hydrangea paniculata such as Vanille Fraise or Moonlight or Limelight or, if you can cope with the name, Pinky Winky.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw