Tree advice

Hi, I would like to plant a nice looking tree for my little girl that can grow as she grows and that could be decorated at Halloween, Christmas etc. The tree would be about 15feet from our house so something that's roots would not interfere with the foundations, if possible I would like a tree that feeds the wildlife. We have a robin that visits us every year for the nearby trees next to the railway. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 25,360

Hi milewild. A perfect tree to fit your criteria would be an Amelanchier. Flowers in Spring are followed by berries that birds find irresistible and the leaves take on a wonderful Autumn colour.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,736

Hello milewide191

Have you considered one of these ?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/95564/Ilex-x-altaclerensis-Golden-King-(f-v)/Details

I've one in my front garden ;virtually spineless , steady growing , very decorative and especially good for wild birds as are all hollies . Imagine that lit up for Xmas !!

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

Silver birch is an excellent tree for attracting wildlife, second only to oak, which is way too slow and big for your situation, in numbers of fauna species known to be attracted to it. The roots are not invasive either. Other good choices would be the aforementioned ameliancher and if you are not on clay soil, than rowan .

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,987

I'd echo Amelanchier, Rowan (Sorbus - not  whitebeam though - the mountain ash)  or Silver Birch.

Rowans grow on clay up here Redwing  (they're our National tree really image ) so that isn't an issue.  Dry soil is though - they need some decent moisture to do their best.

The berries are very attractive at this time of year, and of great benefit to birds. Some of the local rowans here  have been glorious for weeks  image

Amelanchiers also have beautiful berries in autumn.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236

I too love Rowan and have several. The first one I planted 17years ago and it's at about 18 feet now. It's called Chinese Lace and I chose it because it has a very light canopy and I didn't want to lose any light in the kitchen. It doesn't berry as reliably as I'd like but I like the leaves.

I've always just planted "ordinary" ones since then and they thrive in my boggy soil.

The blackbirds go mad for them too.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,987

The 'bog' standard ones (excuse the pun!) are the best for berrying.

The blackies do indeed love them ppauper, and there was a female on that tree a few days later stuffing her face when I went shopping. The tree's outside my local Co-op image

Round my plot it's cotoneaster city, with the amount of their berries they consume and 'leave behind' - if you know what I mean image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....