Nest Box siting.

madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,623

I currently have this wooden robin box on my north facing garage wall and is generally covered with ivy.I know now that the position is a bit high for robins,the ivy also tends to grow through the box and the site is also very windy.I am thinking of replacing it with a woodcrete box I have for smaller birds as it keeps a more stable temperature so the wind should not affect it.For birds like bluetits the ivy would not engulf the box till after fledging so I can leave ivy trimming till later in the year.I can also fix the box higher up than the robin box.

So good position do you think?

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,561

I would have thought the birds would like it if the ivy covers the box while they are nesting? The robins anyway - more cover and more shade? Perhaps I've misunderstood image

It's hard to love, there's so much to hate
    Hanging on to hope when there is no hope to speak of
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,623

The ivy at present grows through the gaps in the bottom of the box and completely engulfs it so a woodcrete one is better I think!

The site is a gap between the house and garage and like a wind tunnel and an open fronted box is a bit vulnerable,again the woodcrete box offers more protection.

I am looking for a better place for the robin box maybe in ivy at the bottom of the garden.

Robins like a nest lower down and blue tits and great tits like them higher up.

(I think I am answering all my own questions from my OP image)

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings