Forum home Plants

Help .. need a plant for privacy

Hi i live in a terrace house and have people walk past my bay window and look in everyday , i have a small bit of garden (soil ) in front of my window , im after a all.year round plant tree ect to grow and give use abit of privacy is i can look out at that and knot people walking past, its in the shade untill around 7pm at night no sunlight  thanks 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

That's a lot of shade. However, Sarcococca Confusa, the sweet box could be the ideal shrub. Evergreen leaves, dark and glossy in colour, followed by dark berries and in winter, scented small white flowers cover the shrub. Will grow up to 2 meters tall and needs to be pruned like all shrubs to create a bushy and dense shape. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Net curtains.  Or position yourself in the bay window and stare back.  That usually puts people off.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286
    Welshonion says:

Net curtains.  Or position yourself in the bay window and stare back.  That usually puts people off.

See original post

Waving works even better image  They often break into a trot ... 

Last edited: 20 August 2017 17:22:26

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,531

Landmines under the pavement?  

• CFCCFC Posts: 71

There's a house near where I live like that, they have put decorative film up with a cut out pattern that looks great and still allows them to see out when they want to.

• With a window, it can be hard to get the combination of privacy and light at a low enough level to be useful. Personally, I'd opt for some sort of net curtain but if you fancy using plants, it then depends how much blocking you want to do. For example, you could go for a standard mop-head shrub, or even a wooden obelisk with a clematis up it. You don't say how sunny your spot is?

I wouldn't go for anything as big as a tree there, not least because all the foliage will be high up where you won't need it, AND you'll lose all your light.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I do love my wooden blinds for the privacy they create. Even "open" they restrict people looking in but let plenty of light through. You can of course adjust them fully as the crowds / naked men dictate.

How big is this front garden of yours? Box hedge migt be an idea but plants / trees that provide more cover need more space of course and if you only have a very small area you'll never get the cover you desire.

Could you have a window box mounted to the wall that you could grow seasonal plants in to add a dash of colour and soften the view from the window?

Last edited: 21 August 2017 08:22:39

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

You can also buy frosted film that would do the trick and still let the light in. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234

..or mirror film. image That way you still get to see out.

You may get people fixing their hair in it though...image

Last edited: 21 August 2017 17:31:28