Forum home Plants

Help and recommendations choosing a plant...

I am looking to get a large tree or shrub to go next to a newly built fence. The fence is around 4ft tall so I want something that will eventually stand taller than that, preferably evergreen and to go in a large container. Flowering would be great too but I think I'm asking a lot. 

Can anyone recommend something suitable please? 

Thanks x

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,455

I have a Star Jasmine, Trachelospermum Jasminoides, in a very large pot with an obelisk in it for the Jasmine to twine around. It is evergreen and has highly scented white flowers. It's really a climber, but I cut bits off mine and it's made side shoots so is quite bushy. It's now taller than me. But it likes sun and a sheltered position. What is it like by your fence?

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Its sheltered to some degree shady in the morning and full sun afternoon into evening. That sounds lovely though. Thanks 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,455

It will need watering as the leaves keep the rain off, especially as it will live in a pot. And a feed in the spring.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Thank you ? 

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,687

Growing trees and shrubs in tubs/containers normally stunt their growth or slows their growth. Based on your needs, I think it is better to choose a shrub that will not have a big root system. Bupleurum Fructicosum, or the  Shrubby Hare's Ear often thrives in sandy coastal areas that has free draining soil. If planted in John Innes number 2 with lots of grit, I think this shrub can work.

Not to everyone's cup of tea. It's evergreen for much of the year, but from summer right through to autumn lovely lemoney small flowerheads sit on the tops of the shrub. Very imformal type of shrub, but will need quite a bit of space as it grows quite wide too.

Last edited: 20 August 2017 10:47:04