Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Finding Felco

Hi guys, after dilly dallying for a couple of months about whether to buy a pair of Felcos I've decided to go ahead as I'm sick to death of crumby secuteurs but after going on the website I'm super confused as to which ones to purchase. They all seem to be for large hands apart from the Felco 6 which say small hands. I don't consider myself to have freakishly small hands but obviously don't want to get a pair that are too big to grip.

Anyone got a pair of 6's they could shed some light on? Thanks in advance image 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've got No 2  ( general stuff ) and No 8 (more precise and dedheading )

I've got fairly small hands , for a man but I'd say No 8 should be ok. 

Try to find a good garden centre which stock them and "feel" them in your hand.

I've bought second hand from ebay for around £20 a pair with no complaints.

Devon.
  • Thank you hostafan1, I was just about to edit my post and ask for #8 insight too image

I think that's pretty much settled it. Worse case scenario I'll swap them. Thank you kindly 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

Glad to have been of help.

Devon.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,774

I use No 2 which is pretty standard for a man. I got my wife some No 6 which she finds perfect I also use them sometime too & find them ok for smaller branches. (Blades are shorter than No 2 & don't open as far). If you go  to a good garden centre that stocks them you should be able to handle them & get to feel for yourself.

Hope that helps

AB Still learning

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,032

I have size 2, best secateurs I've ever had, so I bought 2 more, one for the greenhouse and veg garden, one for front and one for back. I have a big garden and a lot of roses. I am a woman with largish hands.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

I find all Felcos open far too far for me, even their smallest.  I have smallish hands.  It's definitely wise to try before you buy...

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • I opted for the 8's in the end and have enjoyed using them this weekendimage

Thanks for all the feedback.