Forum home Plants

What is this weed on the allotment?

Can someone tell me what weed the tall brown stalks in the picture is ? Need to know if it's going to have a deep taproot when I start clearing site? 

Many thanks!! image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,994

If there are large leaves at the base of the stalks then they look remarkably like the flower heads of Dock. Deep rooted things which regrow from any bits left when digging them out.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140

Gosh, you've got you're work cut out there clearing that, they've gone to seed, they'll be everywhere, please post pics as you go, nice to see before and after. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Just officially become an allotment holder as of this week after only 5 weeks of waiting! Over the moon. I know I've gotnanjob ahead of me but I love a challenge and being busy! Done lots of research and got lots of advice and know that taking sections at a time is the key. Will definitely keep you all updated on progress. 

First job: rebuild / replace this lovely large shed image

• Unfortunately I think yes it's the dreaded dock but hey that's nature for you! Will do my best to dig out but I'm not expecting perfection! 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,140

I don't think you'll dig it out, the roots are ridiculously deep, poison would be best on that, although I don't like using it, I do spray those. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391
    Pauline 7 says:

Second job is to get a chair where you can sit to do your planning. 

See original post

And admire the fruits of your labour! image

Last edited: 18 August 2017 15:09:39

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.