Hedgehog House

We have been aware of hedgehogs in the garden for a couple of years now, we feed regularly and I started to garden without chemiclas about 3 years now.  Putting in my wildlife pond this year seemed like a natural progression towards encouraging as much wildlife as we can.

Sadly we lost one of the younger hogs a while back after getting him to the rescue centre.  I have spotted a larger hog a couple of timesduring the day recently.  It looked ok and suspect the work being done in one of the neighbouring gardens by a new neighbour had disturb it.  So another step in 'make our garden more wildlife friendly' was to provide a shelter for a hedgehog. I opted to buy a preconstructed model and after reading good reviews online I purchased a Royal Hedgehog House.  It was also recommended by many of the Hedgehog sites I found.  

After finding a suitable site, here it is in situ.  I do hope one of our spiny friends makes good use of it. 

Last edited: 16 August 2017 16:42:10

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Fingers crossed for you, it may even be used as a hibernation site image

• I think we may have one visiting our garden been putting food and water out every night , good idea to provide house xx

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

I am hoping so Mark - if successful I'll maybe put in another next year.

j.m.cross - if they are there you should see signs of their poops.  There's lots of it around my garden.  It's what first alerted me to their prescence. 

• I'm delighted my hubbie bought me a hedgehog house recently for my bIrthday!  Now planning to place it in a quiet area of our garden under some shrubs.  Fingers crossed that the hedgehog we spotted a few weeks ago finds it and moves in.  Time will tell.

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 346

what a thoughtful hubbie Yvonne.  Keep us updated.

Last edited: 18 August 2017 11:11:01