Forum home Plants

Flower box above door

I'm taking my first steps into gardening, so know absolutely nothing yet!  I have a vision of having a wooden box (like a window box) with flowers above my front door, as there is a ledge there and I think they would look really lovely.  The only thing is that I have done a search and it seems like noone else has tried this, as there are no pictures out there of anything similar.  Is this because the plants would need daily watering, and it would be difficult (but not impossible) to get up there?  Are there any flowers/plants which I could have in pots/boxes above my door which I wouldn't need to water regularly and would be fine with the amount of sunlight and rain they would naturally get?  Any advice very thankfully received.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,857

It could look lovely ... but yes, all such containers need lots of watering and of course they then drip ... your visitors might need umbrellas image

Pots of trailing pelargoniums (sometimes incorrectly called geraniums) would look pretty and don't need as much watering as some plants ... but they won't survive the winter outside and would need to be taken down in the autumn, overwintered indoors somewhere frost-free and reinstated in the late spring/early summer after the last frosts

The actual watering needn't be too difficult if you got something like this to attach to a hose 

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6696748 

Oh, and don't forget to check what weight the 'shelf' can support ... pots of wet soil can be heavy ... you don't want the whole shebang to come down on someone's head.  Also strong winds might cause a problem unless the wooden box was properly secured. 

Last edited: 16 August 2017 11:51:06

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thank you so much Dovefromabove, really useful points, and very handy hose extension.  The pelargoniums look lovely, but I don't really have anywhere inside that the flowers could come during the winter, so now I'm looking at whether getting some nice green potted plants out there might work.... ?