Forum home Plants

Passionflower

Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 188

Can anyone advise me on what i should do with my passionflower over winter? Do I prune it? Store it in the garage? Thanks 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 3,000

Hello Ryan 180680

On a South or South-West wall , your plant should survive outdoors (depending where you are) !

If getting too large they can be cut down to about 2' from the ground , but leave a couple of green side shoots if possible .

If you live in a cold winter area , and your plant is in a pot , cut it as above and overwinter somewhere relatively frost free . Keep slightly damp though during the winter months .

I live in Lincolnshire (not unduly cold winters) and people leave them outdoors , some in the ground , some in pots .

• Ryan180680Ryan180680 Posts: 188

I'm in Manchester and it's in a pot so cut it 2" and keeping it in the shed would be Ok?

Better 2 foot , not 2 inches image ; if in a shed , keep in the light and slightly damp . Although Brazilian in origin , they are not unduly tender . Look for any green side shoots near the base , and cut just above these .

• DubloonDubloon Posts: 45

I am north west of Edinburgh and I keep ours in the greenhouse all year round. I didn't prune it this year and the growth has been fine but flowering relatively poor. Part of the trouble with this plant is by the time you get home from work it has done most of its flowering and the buds close! We've had a few fruits this year. It's a lovely plant.

Absolutely !!