Forum home Plants

Plant identification

These striking flower seeds were sent to me towards the end of last year, and I cannot remember the name - can anyone name or perhaps recognize them for me please?imageI planted them in a large pot,  they are a velvety deep red colour and sway gracefully in the wind.

Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,391

Looks like a knautia.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,121

It's a Scabiosa, I have a cut flower bed full of them, beauties!

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

1. Black Knight

2. Salmon Pink

• Yes, that's it Bright Star, thank you.  I managed to germinate a couple of dozen plants from the seeds and decided to try them in a pot, they have a guard to help to stop them from being buffeted by the wind - so far so good.

Do you collect the seed from the flower heads?

This is the first time I've grown them as well but I will be collecting the seeds.

• Yes, I will be collecting the seed too, but my one disappointment with them so far is that we haven't seen any nectar collecting insects on them.  I try to attract them into the garden and certain plants don't  appear in my garden a second time if they don't draw in the insects. 

Perhaps if you planted them closer to other plants that attract pollinators. My cosmos plants have been fantastic for this and the Scabiosa that are planted closer to them have had more bees on them, the odd Scabiosa plant that I've used to fill gaps in other parts of the garden have not had as many bees. The plant that has attracted by far the most bees in my garden is the perennial Liatris. The bees absolutely swarm to it and even fall asleep on it!

Last edited: 16 August 2017 17:00:39

• Nice, that is such a lovely sight isn't it BS.  We have Echinacea Pink Parasol and the bees swam for that - often they are on the flowers for hours at a time.image Unfortunately the Asian Hornet has arrived over here and we are concerned for our bees.

That is sad to hear. Lovely photo. 

• Sorry, that should have said the bees swarm for the echinacea, not swam, ha!