Easy to propogate Coleus

I bought some very cheap Coleus plants at the start of summer and they grew like billy-o. I knocked a couple of stems off while moving them and stood them in a glass of water to enjoy  the leaf colours indoors. We went away for a week and when we returned the stems has filled the bottom of the glass with roots. I've never known such easy cuttingsimage material...images

• Yes really easy to propogate I think the challenge comes with trying to over winter them, I grow them as annuals so buy plants in the spring and root cuttings for more for free for the summer display.

• JacquimJacquim Posts: 49

Yup easiest ever to root but I can't seem to get them to over winter either. I grow mine from seed start indoors in February they take months to get beyond 2leaves and then just go crazy.

• homebirdhomebird Posts: 87

Thanks Chrissy and Jacquim, I am going to give them a try overwinter but I will definitely be buying them again next year and like you Chrissy, will take cuttings to increase the numbers for the pots. 

• homebirdhomebird Posts: 87

Thankyou Mike, that is really welcome information,  especially  with regard to overwintering them. 

I am definitely going to try it. Nothing ventured and all that.....?

Last edited: 26 August 2017 10:20:48