Forum home Plants

Very tall flowers, could you name them please.

homebirdhomebird Posts: 110

I planted these in the garden last year and they only grew to around 2ft. This year they are about 5 ft tall. I can't find the label.imageimage

• GrannybeeGrannybee Posts: 329

They look like heleniums but I don't know what sort they are. Some else will be along in a minute who knows!

• homebirdhomebird Posts: 110

Thanks Grannybee, I thought that but the height of them threw me. 

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,676

Possibly H. 'Riverton Beauty'. They're lovely.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 23,767

I have tall yellow heleniums like that, but I've lost the label, bought them years ago.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

A prime candidate for the 'Chelsea chop' next year?  Doing that might keep them down to a more reasonable height and produce more flower heads.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Thanks Will, Busy-Lizzie and Bob. I've looked at  H. 'Riverton Beauty'  and they couldn't be more of a match. I will move them further back in the border next spring as the lower third of the stems is unsightly so needs to be planted behind other plants.  I shall definitely give them the 'Chelsea chop' next year. Thankyou all again.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716

They do get big - and if they like your conditions they can be bigger than expected. It can come as  a shock if they don't make their full height the first season you have them too - as is often the case.

Make sure they're well staked if you haven't got other planting around them for support, or follow Bob's advice re chopping back. It can also be effective to chop the front part of the clump back and leave some taller sections at the back. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

What a good idea Fairygirl. Thanks.