Forum home Plants

Gymnocalycium Ragonesei

fxv300fxv300 Posts: 14

Gymnocalycium Ragonesei
This beautiful cactus plant has flowered. It seems to like the location as I have only had this cactus for a few months.
https://youtu.be/kpKzkhQ9XI8

According to some web pages this is meant to be a rare cactus plant originating from Argentina. Not too sure about that.image

It seems to be doing quite well in Surrey.

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Hello fxv300

Your G.ragonesei looks in fine 'fetter' indeed .Have you tried any of the other Gymnocalyciums ?

G.horstii and G.multiflorum were two of my favourites ; I used to own an extensive collection of cacti years ago , but sold most of them as interest waned .

However , my interest has returned , and am now building up a small collection of mainly S.American arborescent cacti . They are a fascinating and evolutionarily advanced family , many having adapted to totally unique environments which are a world apart from many peoples conjectures of where they grow .

The commonly portrayed image of the 'typical cowboy/western scenario' is a far cry from reality .

• fxv300fxv300 Posts: 14

Thanks for your comment. I have a small greenhouse (unheated in winter) with a variety of cactii. Many of them flower in the summer. I don't really know how to cultivate them properly so it is just the survival of the fittest. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,999

Plenty of fresh-air , rainwater , light and plant food during the growing season . If bone-dry for the winter , many can take sub-zero temperatures .